It was the 22-year old woman’s last night in town before moving to a different region of the country. The 19-year old boy asked to speak with her before she left. He had gotten to know her and her siblings recently and wanted her to know that their interactions with one another had been very influential on him and inspired him to be a better brother to his own sister. He also told the young woman that she was a true model of a Godly woman, and after meeting her he knew what kind of woman he would want to marry someday. Now he is the one who is 22 years old, and the Godliness of this woman from 4 years ago continues to be the standard he has set for his future wife.
The Best Man could have told stories or jokes about his best friend, but this young man’s wedding-reception speech had a singular theme. He told the crowd of 200 that the Groom had been the greatest Spiritual influence in his life. No one had brought him closer to the Lord than his best bud, the Groom, and he wasn’t embarrassed to announce it to their peers. Imagine how the bride and her family felt hearing that their future husband and son was already a God-filled disciple before he became a husband.
Keeping Room Tips:
- Bring to mind some names of family, friends, and peers in your life. Do you think they see Godliness in you? Are they growing closer to Christ because they are either in relationship with you or observing you?
- Remember that Godliness is not something you can fabricate on your own. To be Godly, spend time with God. (Ex. 31:13)
- Find someone who can disciple you, and/or reach out to someone whom you can disciple. Be influenced by the Godly, and influence others to be Godly. (Ruth, 1 & 2 Timothy)
- Make sure the next generation understands Godliness because it’s not frequently discussed in their world. Forward this article to the youth in your life and discuss the topic with your loved ones.
- There’s no right formula for growing in Godliness and modeling Holiness, but it does require your participation. What matters is not how it occurs but that it occurs. (2 Cor. 7:10)
For He chose us in Him before the creation of the world to be Holy and blameless in His sight…(Eph. 1:4)
(He) reconciled you…to present you Holy in His sight… (Col. 1:22)
…Godliness and Holiness…is good and pleases God our Savior… (1 Tim. 2:2-3)
…Godliness has value for all things…(1 Tim. 4:8)