Jen Hughes, Christian Counselor
A Creative Christ-Filled Counseling Experience
Welcome to The Keeping Room!
Welcome to my practice! My name is Jen Hughes and I offer Christian counseling for youth and adults, serving the Johns Creek, Peachtree Corners & Brookhaven areas of Atlanta, Georgia.
My specialty is working with youth and their parents, and women of all ages. In fact, recently, I’ve spent a lot of time working with college-aged young women and they’ve reached a special place in my heart.
My style is highly relational and I’m very devoted to each individual and family that I counsel. This involves meeting with boys and girls in their backyards…working with parents and families in my cozy office…using art & other creative techniques…meeting teens in coffee shops or various eateries…going on walks with those whose schedules are especially tight…and any other unique ideas the Holy Spirit puts into my head!
My worldview is Christ-centered and Biblically grounded. I long for the next generation to revere our heavenly Father, have their identity in Jesus Christ, and know the power of the Holy Spirit for change and freedom.
My accountability is that I belong to Perimeter Church, am Board Certified by the Georgia Board of Examiners for Christian Counselors, receive continuing education from the Christian Counseling & Educational Foundation, and am also a proud member of the Association of Biblical Counselors. I have been married for 22 years, and am mom to a 21-year old son and a 18-year old daughter.
My promise is that I feel an incredible honor to be called to further the Kingdom and serve His people by counseling others, so I take this role very seriously. And it is my great joy to serve you. Thank you!
- Issues Frequently Covered and Approach
- Locations and Fees
- Credentials and Continuing Ed
- adjusting to new life stages
- attachment issues
- changes to family, especially in divorce
- conflict resolution
- crisis intervention
- cultural pressures
- doubts about faith
- eating issues
- emotional regulation & maturity
- healthier relationships
- identity & self-worth development
- mental obsessions
- school success
- spiritual development
- Grace, hope, acceptance, love, and God-focused solution counseling
- The use of professional research that aligns with Biblical truth
- Ministering to spiritual, emotional, mental, physical, and relational needs
- Sensitivity to personality type, interests, and culture of those in counseling
- Compassionate, skilled, and purposeful listening that validates those in need
- An invitation for those in counseling to determine the goals of counseling and to take ownership in the work to be done
- An emphasis on spiritual condition, extent of community and discipleship, and God’s purposes
- Prayer prior to and during appointments
- The study and use of Scripture in counseling and between sessions
- Relying upon the Holy Spirit before, during, and after appointments
- Doting attention in-between appointments
- Meeting together at parks, eateries, or coffee shops is especially popular with teens and children.
- Jen’s personal office in Peachtree Corners serves those with more private needs.
- Off-site meeting spots take place in and around Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, and Atlanta (for a driving fee). Facetime is also available where appropriate and can be especially helpful for college students.
- In-home counseling is also provided as a great option in some cases.
- Jen is not on any insurance plans, but instead offers reasonable rates and options.
- $80/hour for adults & teens who come regularly for a period of time.
- $50/half-hour for kids & tweens who come regularly for a period of time.
- $100/hour for first appointments, one-time appointments, or for those who come from time-to-time.
- “Thank you so much for your ever-thorough assessment and insight. You really do go above and beyond.”
- “You are an answer to our prayers and I’m so thankful for you and what you are doing to help our daughter.”
- “I thank God for bringing you into my life.”
- “Thanks for all you do for our entire family.”
- “So thankful God brought you into our lives to help our family.”
- “I don’t know what we would do without you!”
- “Couldn’t have gotten here without you!”
- “It’s amazing to see how far she has come with you.”
- “I wish I could meet with you every day.”
- “I feel so much better every time I talk with you.”
|“Front-Lines of Counseling Youth Today”||Mom’s Discipleship Group, Brookhaven, GA||10/27/17|
|“Managing Anxiety”||Ninth Grade Discipleship Group, Johns Creek, GA||4/23/17|
|“Song of Solomon is about You and Jesus”||GA Christian Counselors Association, Marietta, GA||3/13/17|
I believe there is One true, triune God eternally existing as God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I believe the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, infallible Word of God, Jesus is on every page from start to end, and Scripture holds responses to all of life’s modern questions. I believe that our holy God is all good and all just, and that His ways are true and best. I know that He is God and I am not. I believe sin is the great dilemma for mankind, but out of His unfathomable grace and mercy, God the Father sacrificed His Son for the atonement of believers’ sins. Then, the Holy Spirit raised Him from the dead so that His followers could live with Him in eternity. I believe that we can’t do anything good in our own strength and need the grace of God to come to Him, serve Him, and love Him. I believe that He is love and makes me capable of love, and He gives me gifts to care for His sheep and build His Kingdom. I believe in providing counseling that is Holy Spirit-led, prayer-based, and Biblically sound. I read what is going on in the field of counseling, but only practice that which can be approved by the Word of God in its entirety. The Father enables me to love deeply those in counseling and demonstrate to them a devotion to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe in holding myself accountable to Scripture, to the true Church, and to fellow Biblical counselors.
- M.A. in Christian Counseling, Liberty University, 2011
- Board Certified by Board of Examiners of Christian Counselors & Therapists
- Member of the Association of Biblical Counselors
- Member of the American Association of Christian Counselors
- Family Conference hosted by CCEF (Christian Counseling & Education Foundation), 2017
- Rewire the Anxious Brain Seminar hosted by PESI (Behavioral Health Continuing Education), 2017
- Sharpening Your Biblical Counseling Skills hosted by Columbus Biblical Counseling Conference, 2017
- OCD Webinar hosted by CCEF (Christian Counseling & Education Foundation), 2017
- Emotions Conference hosted by CCEF (Christian Counseling & Education Foundation), 2016
- Set Apart Girl Conference hosted by Ellerslie Ministries, Live/Simulcast, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Georgia Christian Counseling Association monthly training meetings, 2011-2016
- Anxiety Treatment Technique Seminar hosted by PESI (Behavioral Health Continuing Education), 2014
- Mount Pisgah Christian Lower School Internship, 2010-2011
- Caring for Kids God’s Way Certification Program, 2009
- American Association of Christian Counselors Webinars, 2011-present
- Applying Dialectical Behavioral Therapy: A Christian Perspective, 2017
- The Soul of Shame: Retelling the Stories we Believe about Ourselves, 2016
- OCD & Related Anxiety Issues in Children, 2015 Making Advances: Treating Female Love & Sex Addicts, 2015
- Restoring the Shattered Self: Symptom Stabilization for Complex Trauma Survivors, 2014
- Sex, God, and our Kids: Responding to the Threat of Early Sexualization, 2014
- The Digital Invasion: How Technology is Shaping You & Your Relationships, 2013
- The God-Shaped Brain: How Your View of God Transforms Your Life, 2013
One Thing Christian Parents Often Forget About Teens
God 501: The Reason God Would Score Low on a Professor-Rating Website
God 501: The Way to Change is by Going Backwards
God 501: A Powerful Visual of you and Jesus
Parents and teens often ask me to journey with them in choosing the right fit for college. My husband and I enjoy studying current college trends and have taken official tours, attended admissions information sessions and/or visited with current students and staff at the following colleges and universities:
- Auburn University (2016)
- Belmont University (2010)
- Berry College (2016)
- Clemson University (2013)
- Covenant College (2016)
- Duke University (2014) (campus visit only)
- Georgia College (2016)
- Georgia Tech (2015)
- Harvard College (2017)
- Kennesaw State University (2016)
- Liberty University (2016)
- North Carolina State University (2014)
- Northwestern University (2017)
- Princeton University (2017)
- Savannah College of Art & Design, Atlanta Campus (2010)
- Samford University (2016)
- Southern Methodist University (2017)(campus visit only)
- Texas A & M (2017)
- United States Air Force Academy (2016)
- United States Military Academy at West Point (2016)
- United States Naval Academy (2016)
- University of Alabama (2016)
- University of Georgia (2016)
- University of Louisville (2013)
- University of North Carolina (2014)
- University of South Carolina (2015)
- University of Texas (2017) (campus visit only)
- Vanderbilt University (2015)
- Virginia Tech (2016)
- Wheaton College (2013)
- Yale University (2016) (campus visit only)
Coverage Area: Brookhaven, Peachtree Corners, John’s Creek